Monday, February 18, 2013

Sunday's Comfort Food

Hey there Hey....

I hope every one is doing quite alright in their little corners all around the world. We live in such a great and big one! I have always wanted to travel. Ahhhhh I can close my eyes and see the clear blue waters in Greece and the night lit by little white homes stacked in line perfectly on a mountain hill.

Images from Google (Greece)

Images from Google (Greece)


I can imagine the feel of the wet sand that looks like clay in between my toes as the clear spakly water rinses them off in the islands of Hawaii. I think there is a beach with all black sand. How cool is that?!?

Images from Google (Hawaii)

Images from Google (Hawaii, Black Sand)

Anyway, I have yet to travel but dream very big!!! So I hope to soon see something other than the beaches here in Miami. I am actually trying to plan a cruise this early summer. It will be my first time ever in a cruise ship let alone away from the South Florida soil, so I am really hoping for it. The reason for all I mentioned above leads me to what the topic of this post is about. FOOD!!! Yummy!!! Just a couple recipes I tried over the weekend and wanted to share. I have a passion for cooking and experimenting with all kinds of flavors and cultures. I think subconsciously I get a satisfaction of traveling within the comfort of my home over a nice warm well cooked meal with lots of LOVE. 

This Sunday's comfort food cuisine was: Baked French Toast, Good ol' Chili w/Cuban twist and last but not least dessert, some DUMP CAKE! It was my first time cooking all these fine recipes. I looked through some web pages such as All Recipes, The Food Network and of course my favorite PINTEREST. I took a couple I liked from each and then made it into my own. They were winners! The kids even asked for seconds. I plan to go to the market sometime this week to make repeat CHILI from how delish it was. Hope you guys enjoy the pics. 

Baked French Toast Recipe:
You beat about 4 eggs and add salt and some vanilla extract.  I used a half loaf of butter crust bread and dipped each slice into bowl with egg mixture. As I layered them in baking pan I sprinkled cinnamon sugar and a few sliced bananas. Bake for about 20 minutes or until crunchy texture at 375 degrees and then topped with maple syrup.

Good ol' Chili with a Cuban twist Recipe: I browned the ground meat in a separate pan. I added complete seasoning and garlic as I browned the meat (the Cuban twist). I then added the cooked meat into a casuela along with 2 cans of stewed tomato's, 1 can of spicy chili beans and some chili powder for a kick of extra flavor. I then added a whole onion without the peel as is (not chopped) with some water & let it boil for about 30 minutes and then simmer for about an hour. DIVINE!!! Did I say Divine?!?!

Some Dump Cake Recipe: Super Super Easy. I bought an aluminum baking pan and buttered the bottom. I then added 1 can of blueberry pie filling and layered 1 can of strawberry pie filling on top. (Yeah yum) I then licked my fingers, LOL and you add vanilla cake mix straight out the bag in powder form without mixing and then top with lots of butter. I cut my stick of butter into little squares & covered the whole top of the cake. You then bake for about 45 minutes on 350 & OMG you can even add some ice cream for some extra wows from the gang!

 Yes it was one lovely cold Sunday filled with lots of warmth! Have a great one guys, xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Hola Shasha!
    Looks delicioso! Where's my plate? ;)

    ReplyDelete